Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Natural Hair & The Big Chop: Negative Reactions

"If we don't get to know our hair we can't love it or appreciate it." 
Lisa Akbari



I Love My Hair


Yesterday, I couldn't believe the negative response I received from a relative about my short natural hair.  It takes a lot of restraint and desire to find opportunity in such negativity.  I chose to document my reaction in audio and video.  

When I first started my natural hair journey, I kept a picture file of natural hair inspirations.  It later progressed from Fotki photobooks to Youtube to Tumblr blogs.  I hope to educate my relative on the  versatility and options with natural hair.




2 comments:

  1. It was funny how your relative came at you. But I know it's not funny.

    When I first went natural, I'll never forget my dad saying, "Aren't you going to fix your hair?" I looked at him and said, "It's already fixed." After that he never said another word about my hair.

    I love the quote you shared by Lisa Akbari.

    Take care,

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn, I credited the stimulant mix castor/PPO for growth when I began to transition. But, I've seen growth stimulant methods get out of control. I agree. Simplicity is the key. It's easier to track mistakes and successes.

    ReplyDelete