Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Tipping Point of Natural Hair and My Hair Journey

I intermittently browsed hair sites for almost seven years.  


I came across a seven-year old email from a hair care community site.  Actually, it was a response email from Audra Sivasothy, the author of The Science of Black Hair.  During that time, I was relaxed, participating in a "healthy hair and growth journey."  

In 2005, the phenomenon of transitioning to natural hair wasn't a hot topic on black hair forums.  Although it was was popular for relaxed women to "stretch"  their time between relaxers, we didn't used the term  "transitioning" on the hair boards.  Then, I was aware of one online natural hair community.  Natural hair wasn't integrated into "black hair care" forums like today.

So, what was the tipping point when black women began to wear natural hair in large numbers?

Can we credit celebrities and entertainment?   


Although the movie "Good Hair" gets mixed reviews from naturals, many women online claimed the movie turned them away from relaxers.   Some people give Youtube all of the credit.   I do believe online videosblogs, and hair boards  increased the public's familiarity with natural stylesproductsregimens and remedies


Again, what was the tipping point?

I do not believe this current natural hair movement will remain as a trend like the 90's. I neither believe it will be smothered out of existence by larger institutional systems  like in the 70's.   



No comments:

Post a Comment